Monday, July 25, 2016

Day 25: What little ears hear and little eyes see



Tonight's post will be a short one. By the time I grilled dinner, ate, spent some time with my daughter-in-law Montana, got Coraline ready for bed while watching the DNC speeches, and then cleaned up the kitchen, the clock was pointing straight up midnight. I checked out Anomalisa almost a week ago at the library and that's all the time they will give me. I'm watching it tonight .... unless I fall asleep.

Here's what I want to say tonight though. Coraline paid little attention to the DNC speeches. She recognized Michelle Obama. She asked why I got angry when some guy named Scott posted a comment on the NPR Facebook page about how "adorable" Elizabeth Warren is. Fuck you, Scott, you condescending, patronizing flea on the ball sack of a mangy warthog. Your time has come, whether you recognize it or not. And here's why.

Coraline may not have been paying attention to the speeches tonight. She's 5. But what she heard tonight will be her norm, and her norm is so radically different from the speeches I heard when I was her age --the speeches that were all given by white Protestant men, except for the Kennedys, of course.

I was taught that little girls should be seen and not heard. And that meant women too.

Her norm, if tonight is any indication, includes women who will be heard -- women of color,  Jewish women, and a slight, blonde woman who is a powerful, outspoken US Senator. She heard and saw men of color and a Jewish man. And just so things don't change too much, there was even a Kennedy on the stage.

This is her norm. This is what she will expect from the democratic process. If her generation can grow up knowing anybody can get up on that stage, just think how different their world will be from the one I grew up in. We have a long, long way to go, but this much we have done. This much we have done.

"I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves — and I watch my daughters –- two beautiful, intelligent, black young women –- playing with their dogs on the White House lawn. And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters –- and all our sons and daughters -– now take for granted that a woman can be President of the United States." -- Michelle Obama


Note: I didn't even turn on the RNC. I see no reason to show her that. She will experience the ugliness of the world soon enough. I don't need to expose her -- or me, for that matter -- to such a level of hatred and aggression. This too has changed, and not for the better. Civility has been broken, and it's not only evident at the RNC.


No comments:

Post a Comment