Saturday, August 8, 2020

Oh for a road trip


Maybe I need to stop watching TV. I keep seeing things on TV that make me want to do those things and I can't because fucking COVID. Like I was watching In the Dark, which I think if you like reading this blog you would like because it's dark and sarcastic and it makes you want to drink. But in the 4th episode Murphy, the blind (not in real life) star of the show goes on a road trip. Oh, how I love a road trip. And she gets stuck in a bathroom stall and has to crawl under the door of the stall, which is a lot scarier when you're blind I would imagine, but is massively scarier to consider during fucking COVID. Otherwise it would just make a funny story, but not now. And then they actually stop at a diner. And I could smell the old grease and coffee and pancake syrup and the ghost of cigarette smoke and hear the ting of forks against plates and the overlapping voices of people telling their stories. And I could just taste a big bite of juicy burger with lettuce and tomato and ketchup and mustard and mayo and some fat greasy fries dipped in more ketchup and fuck COVID I was there with the backs of my thighs stuck to the red plastic bench seat and the waitress (server ... whatever) asking me if I wanted more coffee. Only I wasn't there and I won't be there for a long time. And now I'm thinking about eating a chocolate malted milk shake with a long spoon, and they leave the extra in the metal cup so you don't waste any, and a piece of pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. God I'm full.

But that's from a glass of wine and a bowl of wavy potato chips, which I ate alone on my couch as I watched Murphy on her road trip and wished I'd gone on more myself when I had the chance. And I'm not even going to start in on the sex ....

What do you miss?

4 comments:

  1. Indian buffets. Hole in the wall restaurants. Any restaurants. Road trips. Ravinia music festival with my daughters. Thrift shop browsing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. Thrift stores. I miss thrift stores a lot. And festivals too. And karaoke.

      Delete
  2. Hubby and I are watching Rick Steve's Europe. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they don't want us there. We're too dumb.

      Delete