Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Hope in a time of waiting

 



Apparently I just can't quit this place. I'm at my NaNoWriMo writing space with my notes and my intentions (5585 words so far!), but I have to get something off my chest before I can buckle down. The election is on-going. If we thought we'd have relief after Election Day, we were deluding ourselves.

About midnight, I posted this on my Facebook: "Tonight is one of those nights when it's hard to be alone. So glad Dakota [my daughter-in-law] called me on her way home from work for a long talk. Would be nice to be curled up under a blanket with someone watching a movie. That's election night during a pandemic for you. At least I get to choose the movie." I think this was the first election I spent by myself, which wouldn't have been so bad except the PTSD from the 2016 election was hitting me hard, as it was many of my friends who actually care about other people and the planet. I should have gone to bed early but ...

... I didn't go to bed until 3:00, not because I was watching election results. No, I turned off the movie I was watching about 2:00 because I couldn't focus and I thought I might as well get some sleep, and then, instead of going upstairs to bed I picked up my Kindle and started reading a book started playing Subway Surfers. I fled from a fat police officer, ran over the tops of trains and dodged others, rolled and jumped over blockades, and collected coins for an hour or longer, utterly stupified and disconnected from all things political. This could become an addiction.

As I write this morning, the votes are being tallied. Trump gave what amounted to an acceptance speech in the middle of the night. I wasn't watching him though; I was dodging trains and collecting coins and trying to figure out what it meant when my shoes got bouncy. When I finally thought I could sleep, I went to bed, read my book for a short time and actually did fall asleep to the sound of pink noise, courtesy of Alexa ...

... Only to be awakened yet again by the guy who is living with my next door neighbor, mostly in his garage where he works on a loud motorcycle that he revs and revs and revs at all hours of the day and night. Sometimes he rides it down the sidewalk and leaves it running out there. Did I mention it's loud? Really loud? Fuck that shit.

And then there were the dreams. Jesus, save me from the dreams on election night 2020.

I woke up feeling heavy, sluggish, like my nerves are on the outside of my body and any touch or sound sets off an alarm. I yelled at my 9-year-old granddaughter Coraline for not picking up her dirty socks off the dining room floor. The same socks I told her to pick up yesterday morning. That was well deserved, I think, but she's not whom I really want to yell at.

I need some hope and in spite of the reassurances of the pundits both left and right (et tu, Fox News?) that the election isn't over and Trump isn't winning, hope is hard to find.

And so I look to the children -- or child, in this case -- and I share with you another blog post, one Coraline wrote on her private blog. I hope it gives you hope too. And I hope, like me, you voted for the world she wants to live in, not the one we should leave in the past.

   Dear man in the pickup truck at the food drive who said all lives matter,

So, Hello Mr. Guy at the food drive, how are you?. Never mind. Remember that time when you pulled up in your black pickup truck with fake Trump 2020 money in the front window? And we where in our car, with our masks on, I had om my BLM mask on, my grandma with her purple one on? And you did not have a mask on. You and my grandma talked for a good 5 minutes, and while you where driving away you said,

" All lives matter, honey,"

Good, because this is what I have to say about that.

   First of all, EWW. Don't call a little girl who you know Nothing about honey. Its creepy. Second, if all lives matter, why do you have a problem with Black lives matter? Hmm? Whats' that? You are just saying that because your racist, sexist, homophobic and trying to hide it? I thought so. Herse what your trying to say. All lives matter, but women are nasty. All lives matter, but Black people are dangerous. All lives matter but immigrants are being kept in concentration camps.  All lives matter but being LGBTQIA+ is a sin.  All lives matter but all Muslims are terrorists. All lives matter doesn't mean you can chose when they matter! Third of all, I was sitting there in my BLM mask that my friend Layla gave me. And no, I'm not black. But the reason I'm righting this here at the dining room table, is because none of us are free, until all of us are free. When Layla gave me that mask, I felt like I could speak up for the black community. I want to use my voice. But you did not give me a chance. You said All lives matter and drove away. You are the reason that the black community has to fight for equality that we are suppose to have.  

Thank you for your time,

Coraline.  

Learn from the children.





14 comments:

  1. Wow, how old is this kid? You can tell she lives with someone who knows the score. Thank God she doesn't live with a racist! I will not comment on the election EXCEPT to say I am disappointed is an understatement. Gotta go get my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's nine. I grew up in a racist household. I do not want that for her either. I believe she would reject that kind of thinking just as I did though. She's thoughtful and empathic even without my influence.

      Delete
  2. I tend to get into long, rambling explanations about what I am trying to support/justify. Our youth have a wonderful way of distilling the conversation down. I do 10, 20-proof stuff...and you have to drink too much of my schtick to get it. Our kids are dolling out the hard stuff. A quick shot...right to the point. Thanks Carol. And thank Coraline for taking the time to share her words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't hold back, that's for sure. I'm proud of her passion and her ability to articulate ideas many grownups struggle with. I'll show her your comment.

      Delete
  3. Give my love to Coraline. What an amazing kid. <3 With an amazing you. I love you both so dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that. Thank you. Loving you back. <3

      Delete
  4. Oh my, Carol. Coraline's writing is amazing!!!
    Your thoughts are always provocative, too, but I see a great future for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Sounds like I'd better get out of her way! She's not always so deep. Today she's writing stories about emojis. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Here, here! From a Canadian nervously and obsessively watching your election results. Hugs, my friend.....Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how hard it is to be our neighbor, given how hard it is to be us right now. I hope we'll soon be less scary.

      Delete
  6. Very nice post, Coraline. I appreciate your vocal support. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin. I think that guy is lucky we didn't have a baseball bat in the van. She was furious. And now she's finding out how therapeutic it can be to write when you're angry and feel helpless.

      Delete
  7. I hope you are sleeping better. I know that I will be--if just for the salve of Coraline's message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie. I think we'd all sleep better if the orange menace left the country.

      Delete