Sunday, November 1, 2020

NaBloPoMo 2020 cancelled

 


If you've been reading here for a while you know I always do National Blog Post Month (NaBloPoMo) in November. Some of you even look forward to reading a blog post every day for that one month of the year. I had every intention of doing it this year too. It would have been my 10th year .... can you see where this is going? 

Last month I went to a virtual 5-day writing conference called Rebirth Your Writing, led by Brevity Magazine editors Allison Williams and Dinty W. Moore. It was the inspiring kick in the butt I needed to buckle down and get said butt into the chair and write. But not to write here on this old blog. I mean seriously write like a professional writer. No distractions. No excuses. That's the first thing that happened.

Then last weekend, my little brother died in Alaska, 4000 miles away. He had been getting sicker and sicker this year, after decades of being sick and in denial. He finally succumbed to alcoholism at age 59. He followed my mom in death by only two years.

We're also in a serious pandemic and some people think we're headed toward a civil war, so none of us know what will happen to us in the near future. Life is precious and seems increasingly precarious.

So instead of writing here, much as I love writing here, I'm going to do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which means I've made a commitment to write 50,000 words in November. Not 50,000 words of blog posts, but 50,000 words of what will become my book. I do love writing these blog posts, but I'm not a blogger who gets lots of comments and I don't write posts that many people tend to share, so this is a hobby at best. I need to focus on making writing -- not just teaching writing -- my profession. I need to stop giving it away here, in other words.

Some of you are as much to blame as the Rebirthing conference, you know. You've been telling me I should write a book for years now. Decades even. And now I'm making a commitment to doing it. (So promise me you'll buy the fucking book when it comes out, OK?)

It seems kind of crazy, given I'm barely keeping my head above the raging waters of 2020, to make a commitment that's even bigger than publishing a blog post every day. If I don't do it now though, I don't know when I will do it. Life is short -- sometimes shorter than you think. I need to prioritize this dream of mine to write and publish a book that I've had since I could pick up a pencil in my chubby little hand.

I'll pop in here when I need to get a rant off my chest, but it's best if you don't see much of me this month, here or on Facebook. Wish me luck though. I need a lot of that these days.




12 comments:

  1. Will definitely miss your November posts - it always seemed to delay the melancholy funk I feel as we move into November. But am sooooo excited to hear that you're digging in on a bigger, professional work! I hope it is challenging, rewarding and allows you to strrrrretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I decided to do this. I will post a few times though, because sometimes I need to get something off my chest before I can settle down to write whatever other thing I need to write. This year, I've had a lot to get off my chest.

      Delete
  2. Go, You! And, I will definitely buy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did NaNoWriMo a few years ago. Didn’t get very far ... but far enough that I hope to get back to it. Maybe after I retire. Did I tell you that I’m retiring soon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! You did not tell me. What's the plan after that, besides writing?

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your brother on top of everything else this shit year has brung. Wishing you success with your writing challenge.

    Hugs,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been quite the year. I guess this is how we find out how strong we really are.

      Delete
  5. So glad you are doing NaNoWriMo this year! Hope it's going well for you. My writing is going along and the whole project is sort of coming in more clearly now as I write on it. I wrote an introduction that helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea and I'm going to copy you. I think writing an introduction will help me clarify what I'm doing too. I'm glad we're doing NaNoWriMo together.

      Delete