Saturday, November 11, 2017

Day 11: The post-show blues



Ugh. The post-show blues hit me before my head hit the pillow tonight. If you've never felt the post-show blues, let me just tell you, it feels like ..... the blues. Whatever. It will pass. It's a normal reaction to the high of performing and taking in all that nervous energy that builds up and then becomes action on the stage and the energy the audience is giving back, which was electric and passionate tonight and last night. There's nothing to do but come down from that. Buttered popcorn and two glasses of wine aren't enough to stave it off.

You know what is though? Post-show fucking. The hardest thing about being single is not having a release for that energy. If you've never experienced it, you'll just have to believe me when I tell you nothing is better than post-show fucking. And since I don't have even a fuck buddy in sight .... sigh. I'm making do with buttered popcorn, wine, and stolen Halloween candy.

That's enough feeling sorry for myself. The show was great. I feel good about my performances both nights, which I can't always say. Usually I can find something to feel shitty about. Nope. Not this time. The cast was amazing. I made new friends. I've got nothing to complain about, and much to feel blessed about. OK, I look really fat in the photos. I do have that to complain about. But otherwise .... I've got nothing!

So in that vein, I'll just share with you the message Coraline gave me tonight, to be read right before I went on stage. She handed it to me and I stuck it in my pocket. "Don't look at it until you're ready to go on stage," she made me promise several times. "OK. I won't. I promise."


Aren't these supposed to be my words?

Translation: "Dear Mommers, Follow your heart, and you will do it. Love, Coraline (in cursive)."

Oh, my heart.

The plan is to do All the Sex Monologues every two years. That means I have two years to get out there and have some experiences to write about. But where to start? I haven't a clue. Help me out here, readers. Where do I start so I'll have a good story or two to tell at the next All the Sex Monologues? Seriously  .... HELP!

17 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, makes me think about the taste of rain.

    Correct me if I am wrong buuut, seems to me that men are pretty easy if you wanted to pick one up. How would that work with your grand daughter living with you? Which reminds me, weren't you going to do a ten weeks ten dates post, or something like that at one time? So many questions but inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my age, not so easy. In addition, I'm told I'm pretty choosy. Having chosen poorly a few times, I've earned that right. I was going to do 10 men, 10 dates, but one of ten was enough. I guess I never did write about him.

      Delete
  2. I used to miss the sex after having a great night out, like at a concert or a party, in the first year after my husband died. But since then a lot has changed for me physically (hormonally, I guess) and I don't miss sex anymore, at any time. It's incredibly freeing. So not a good person to offer ideas for your show, unless you want to talk about asexuality. Congratulations on your success, my dear Reticula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never performed a monologue about asexuality. I think it would be a good addition. Write it. What's the worst that could happen?

      Delete
    2. https://www.widowbadass.com/?s=Just+call+me+Ace
      I think I already did.

      Delete
    3. I definitely think you could make it into a monologue.

      Delete
  3. My husband’s still alive and we’re still in love and yet, as we move through our ‘60’s BOTH of us generally—not always— feel for nostalgic about our sexuality, than needy. I have to agree: not being tossed around either physically OR emotionally by one’s hormones is rather “freeing.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Feel far more” that should read. 60+ eyes, too! 😳

      Delete
    2. I suppose I'll get there one of these days and then all this neediness will have been wasted. Not that I think about it a lot. Doesn't pay.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the success of the show! There is so much to say but so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write about not having a fuck buddy when you need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should. I could also write about the time I tried that. Too clingy. Him.

      Delete
    2. I had that problem too... that was odd.

      Delete
  6. Makes me wonder what I'd write for a monologue. I think I have a couple ideas that might be interesting. Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to be from Dayton to submit. Our last monologue this time was from a guy who lives in LA and Cincinnati. I can even take monologues to the workshops we have to help people write and polish and get feedback for you.

      Delete