Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nov 23: Pies!

Jack in the pie

Not sure what to serve for dessert tomorrow? Need something to take to somebody else's dinner? No, I'm not suggesting a bottle of Jack (at least take Maker's Mark), but here are the recipes for the two pies I'm making for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll serve both with fresh whipped cream. (I don't allow Cool Whip in my house, not even to put on cookies.) I'm also making a gluten-free dark chocolate brownie, but I haven't tried the recipe before, so I can't recommend it yet.

Both of these pie recipes are super-duper easy. I'll post photos later tonight.


Fresh Pumpkin Pie

Preheat oven to 425


Ingredients:
1 ¾ cup fresh pumpkin, pureed or mashed (or a 16-oz can if you're a cheater)
12 oz can evaporated milk
¾ cup sugar (can use Splenda or honey)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp cinnamon
½-1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Or
2 ½ tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 unbaked 9” pie shell

Combine all ingredients except shell. Stir until mixed. Place cookie sheet on oven rack, then empty pie shell on sheet. Carefully add filling.

Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 50-60 minutes or until pie is set in center.

~~~~~~
And this one, which is deliciously decadent. Don't blame me if your fillings fall out. Thanksgiving is not the day to stick to your low-carb diet anyway, is it? Nah, I didn't think so.

Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie


3 oz bourbon (I’m using Jack this year. I’ve used brandy or spiced rum before)
1 ½  cup chopped pecans
3 eggs
1 c light Karo corn syrup
¾  c semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use dark.)
1 c sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 unbaked 9” pie shell



Soak pecans in bourbon for at least 4 hours. Mix all ingredients together and pour into unbaked shell. Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour.

Wish you were here!


5 comments:

  1. The dark chocolate brownie makes my mouth water -- gluten-free or not.

    Hope it turns out good!

    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    Peace ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rollo, if I like the recipe, I'll make you some.

    I hope you continue to get good news for your Thanksgiving. Will be thinking about you guys.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You better not being calling me a cheater for using canned pumpkin if you're not making your own pie crusts!

    Pie pumpkins are not available around here after the first week of November, and I neglected to get any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, oh! It looks like a holiday baking smack down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...ummm....OK, I'm busted. I just don't take the time to make my own crusts for big holiday meals. It's either the pumpkin or the crusts.

    For Christmas dinner I'm going to pick up the pace though. Homemade crusts for sure. You must be so pleased with yourself. Ha!

    ReplyDelete