Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This little piggy went in the slow cooker...

Early this morning after I finished writing yesterday's post, I dumped a big pork loin into my slow cooker, mixed up a tangy vinegar sauce, and set it on low to cook for a very long time. By the time I got up, the whole house smelled like pork heaven -- which is not a euphoric place for pigs, but rather a place for those of us who like to eat pigs. Or hogs as we call them in Iowa.

I have a lot to say about pigs and what nasty, vicious creatures they are, and about how we should eat them before they eat us because they taste like bacon and we don't, but I won't go into that. I will just say that much yumminess comes from pigs and here is an educational chart that shows you where to cut.

I don't know why the butt is in the front. It's just one more reason to eat pigs.

When I got home from school this afternoon, I could smell the pig cooking before I reached the front porch. I turned off the cooker and let the roast sit a while. When I couldn't wait any longer, I started eating it right out of the crock pot pulled it and filled a plate. It was worth the wait.

You want the recipe, don't you? Here it is. Ingredients are approximations because I tend to just dump some stuff into a big measuring cup. Add more of stuff you like and less of stuff you don't.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

In a two-cup measuring cup mix the following ingredients:
  • 1 cup cider vinegar (or use another kind if that's what you have)
  • 1/2 cup  Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
  • 1 tsp dry yellow mustard
  • a few dashes of smoked paprika
  • salt and pepper
  • any other spices you like, but that's all I put in mine
Dump a pork loin in the crock pot, fat side up. You want the fat to cook down through the meat. Dump the sauce over it. Cook it on low for 10-12 hours or until it's falling apart. Resist the urge to lift the lid until it's cooked at least 8 hours. Use two forks to pull the pork into shreds. Dump some of the sauce over it if you like. Or mix in some prepared BBQ sauce. Or both. Eat it.

It tastes a lot better than it looks.


2 comments:

  1. It looks just fine. It looks exactly like it ought to look. Next time, try adding some strong coffee and cut back on the Worcestershire, and see what you think. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee would mellow out the vinegar a little bit, huh? I'd have to use decaf so my pork doesn't keep me up all night.

      Delete