Saturday, June 1, 2013

It's time for some discipline around here

I haven't been a very good blogger lately, so my muse Dolores is going to tie my butt to a chair and flog me with licorice whips even though she knows it makes me whimper and moan with utter .... oh, are you reading this? Nevermind ... I'm going to impose some discipline by signing up for Blogher's NaBloPoMo again. I've done it before: made a commitment to write a post every day for a month. It's a challenge, but it makes me put my ass in a chair and my fingers to the keyboard every day, even if it happens in the wee hours of the morning.

When I do this, I'm always excited at the beginning of the month about the possibilities, sifting through the long list of potential posts I keep in a file, remembering what I wanted to say about each one. And then as the month goes by, new topics come up, shit happens, people talk in unguarded moments, or the police show up, and most days I end up writing about what's immediate.

So what I plan to write about this month is what it was like to work on a horror movie the past couple of months; Melvin; what the band, Deeply Discounted Free to a Good Home, is up to; bullies (because this is a topic several people have asked me to write about); 10 Dates, 10 Men™ (I mean it this time); trust (because I have to write a sermon); bar napkins (I have a collection); and if you're very very good, vaginas. (I don't have a collection. Only one.)

OK, I will write about vaginas no matter what. That's the only thing I can promise I'll write about. And I might even dig into Blogher's theme for this month: roots, although I try to apply the L'Oreal long before mine become obvious.

And vaginas.

Any of you other bloggers want to take the challenge? Let me know if you are, and I'll come read your shit if you'll read mine.

For tonight, I'll leave you with the best "no shit" Facebook post of the day, which my son Drake posted to my wall tonight. Goes so well with my new motto: She (or he) who brings the drama, leaves with the drama.


A-yep.

2 comments:

  1. I took the challenge, also with going back to a publishing discipline (I do write daily, but completely privately, in fact, and it does not really entice me to improving my writing skills!).

    I was prompted to participate by the themes: roots. This is a topic that has been occupying my mind for quite a while now, so getting to write on it will hopefully frame what I wanted to publish on the question of heritage and family tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write a lot too, Otir, but the discipline of publishing here is different from any other kind of writing I do.

      I look forward to reading about your roots this month. :-)

      Delete