Monday, November 5, 2018

Memories in cars: Day 5


The #NaBloPoMo18 prompt for today is "What is your earliest memory?"

In my earliest memory I was a month away from my third birthday, and we were bringing my baby brother Ryan, who was born about nine months after my mom and dad got married, home from the hospital.* We stopped by my aunt and uncle's house to show them the baby. Mom and Dad took the baby inside and I had to stay in the car and wait. It was June, and I remember looking out the open back window and watching them walk away.

Two things I have to explain about this memory. First, I'm not sure it really happened the day we brought Ryan home from the hospital. I've always remembered it that way, but I was so young I  might have mixed that day up with another day, although I'm sure I was alone in the car, so the baby probably was Ryan. We didn't have car seats back then, so they couldn't leave a baby in the car regardless of when it happened.

Second, the car was often our babysitter back then. I grew up in a safe, small town in Iowa, and nobody thought twice about kids left in cars. The winter my grandma broke her hip and was in the hospital for several weeks  (this was before hip replacements), my mom would leave us kids (three or four of us by then) in the car in the hospital parking lot with the engine running every night while she visited Grandma in her room on the second floor. Kids weren't allowed in the hospital back then, and my dad didn't babysit. We sat in the car and stared out the fogged-up window, and she'd look out every so often and wave at us.

Another time when we were older and we were visiting the same aunt and uncle, Ryan was left in the car, and he was pretending he was driving the car (which was running because people often left their cars running while they ran errands or stopped for short visits). Somehow he kicked the car into drive (or so he claimed) and the car ran up over the sidewalk and hit my cousins' swing set. It toppled end over end across their back yard. Fortunately nobody was playing on it at the time. I'm not sure why I was outside of the car watching. Just lucky, I guess.

So that's my first memory, and I wasn't going to write this, but here's the rest of the story. In my mind it's the first time I realized I was the odd one in my family. That they were a family now, and I was a peripheral part of that, not a fully wanted member. That's a feeling that has never left me. My friend Chicken Grrrrl hates it when I call myself a red-headed bastard stepchild, but for me it's a succinct way of describing my feeling of never quite belonging, never quite being as wanted as the four other kids in our family. My feeling of being that two-year-old sitting alone in the car while the new baby goes inside with our parents to be shown off has never left me.

I don't have any other specific memories until I was five and went to school. Do any of you care to share your first memory? I'd love to read about them.

*My dad was technically my step-father. My parents married when I was two.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know quite what to say about this. Your parents had you, then got married and had more kids? Yet you don't feel part of the family? That is awful. My mother was born out of wedlock and my grandmother did get married later (not to Mom's father) and had more kids. My mom was treated differently and shamefully, and it scarred her. How was any of this her fault??? I can barely understand how and why my mom was treated the way she was, and I don't understand your treatment at all. I am sorry that this happened to you, Reticula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't clear enough. I have a different biological father. He didn't show up for the wedding when my mom was pregnant with me. I think if it hadn't been kept a secret until a friend told me, I would have understood the difference. But that's not the way it went. It's a long story, but that's enough of it here.

      Delete
    2. Understanding the difference doesn't make it any more bearable or any less hurtful, I am guessing. I am still sorry this happened to you.

      Delete
  2. So much about what you wrote hit me. The midwestern ways. The safe, small town. The leaving kids in the car. But the crux of the memory has too often been played out all over the world and it is much more than just a first memory; it is an imprinted pain that never quite made its way out of you (or the many others with the same story) and because of this first memory a lifetime of disconnection happened. Thank you for honestly sharing this entire memory. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dani. I'm OK now. I've worked through this stuff over the course of my life, and I can see people doing the best they can in their imperfect human lives. But I also have to be brutally honest about my own story. That's how I heal.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. My first memories are a jumble of many I'd rather not write about. Maybe someday. I do understand the not belonging part. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. Those memories sound painful. There are things I've been told were done to me that I'm glad I can't literally remember. I do think they've molded some parts of me that are irreversible. Writing helps me, I think, although sometimes it can just dredge up things I'd rather not deal with. Things that can't be changed now.

      Delete