Thursday, November 1, 2018

I can do this! Day 1


I start this, my 8th NaBloPoMo (National Blog Post Month), with significant trepidation. Pretty much like I do every November 1 when I look at my busy life and I doubt I'll fulfill my commitment to post every day of the month. And yet, somehow I reach the finish line every. Single. Year. Or so I thought until I looked back at last year.

In that way our brains have of telling us the story we want to tell ourselves, I thought I had successfully finished NaBloPoMo all of the last seven years. I forgot my epic failure of 2017 when I flew home to Iowa for my mom's 80th birthday party in the middle of the month and didn't post another NaBloPoMo post after. I wanted to. I took my laptop and my intentions, but once I got there, spending time with my family and sleep seemed more important. So I enjoyed Mom's birthday party and our family Thanksgiving the next day, flew back home to Dayton and did Thanksgiving here and then .... I have no idea what happened to the rest of the month.

Epic fail. And yet, I have no regrets. My mom died this year on September 5, just a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I spent my time celebrating her life with her last year instead of trying to keep up here.

This year will be tougher though. I'm raising my 7-year-old granddaughter Coraline, my daughter Elvira moved in with us temporarily (although not as temporarily as we thought) with her two dogs and two cats just a couple of weeks before my mom had her last stroke. I flew to Iowa for two weeks to be with Mom as she died and for the funeral, then drove the 700 miles back to divide up her belongings and clean out the house and such not long after. I spent three out of six weeks in the towns where I grew up while trying to keep running on the treadmill that is my life, and I still haven't had a chance to really process (I kind of hate that word, but I can't think of a better one) my mom's death. I just know I miss her, and I'm glad I could be with her when she passed on from this life.

So I expect I will write about that experience. And I also expect I will toss out a few rants about politics, because everything is about fucking politics these days. One of the reasons I haven't been writing here much is because I don't know how to write about the things I love to write about -- vaginas and handy-penises and stupid humans -- while the Titanic is tanking all around me and life is so very serious. I will try though. I'm making the promise, even though I don't have much faith in my ability to keep it. I don't function as well on four hours of sleep as I used to. 

One thing that helps me and inspires me is your comments. Most of them end up on Facebook these days, which is cool and gratifying and, hey, I just like knowing somebody is reading my little words. It's lonely here at my computer by myself late at night. However, those comments aren't permanent like the ones you post right here below my posts. I promise I will answer each and every one .... but no pressure. Nope. No pressure at all.

Also, if there's a topic you'd like to see me weigh in on, let me know. I'll do my best.

Right now, like a lot of people, I'm just doing the best I can and trying not to beat myself up about the many things that fall through the cracks. Between my various part-time jobs and single parenting and all these pooping and eating animals and the hours I spend in my van every day and Netflix (oh, c'mon. You watched The Haunting of Hill House too) and the occasional party and karaoke night and why did I buy this big old house again? And the hot flashes .... oh, don't even get me started. And now I'm doing this?

I need another glass of wine. See you tomorrow.

Reticula out.

10 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss, yet happy for your gain in another season of blogging with #NaBloPoMo18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Steph! We'll get through this month together.

      Delete
  2. I too am sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you got that quality time with your mom.
    And I can relate to your rosy thinking about completing the challenge every year. Looking back, I can see that I didn't finish as well as I thought a couple of years. Oh, well! We'll forge onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. It's funny how I can fool myself, and yet I've left this record here that can't be denied. This year there are things I need to write about, and I intend to use this commitment as my motivation to do the hard work. I'm glad we can support each other.

      Delete
  3. Seemed like an epic fail at the time but turned out to be an epic win, in fact. So sorry for the loss of your mom. I hope that NaBloPoMo offers you time to work through your grief and feelings via the keyboard. I'm here, holding space for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad we became friends through our blogs.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry about your mom. Mine died eleven years ago this month. I still think about her every day as I'm sure you will think about yours. And your granddaughter is there to help you through it all. That is an epic win. I'm glad you're back and I hope you're taking care of yourself. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I think I am taking care of myself. (I'm about to take a nap!) Losing the person who grew you in her body is a huge loss. I'm not surprised you think about your mom every day. I guess we keep people alive in our hearts and minds that way.

      Delete
  5. Oh!!! How did I miss that about your mom? I’m so sorry to hear she died - but glad you were able to be with her. Isn’t it strange how one day all is well and you’re with them, and you have no idea what is coming around the corner? But I guess that’s how Life works, right.

    I think I did NaBloPoMo one of those years with you. I loved doing it! And I loved knowing you’d hop over into the comments offering a little encouragement. Day 4 seems a little late to jump in again, maybe I’ll plan better for next year. :)

    As for taking requests- I’d love to hear about Coraline and how that’s going. I’m really enjoying this second opportunity to apply all I learned along the way with my 3 year old grandson. He and Alyssa live in an apartment and she shares custody - but when she has him and is at work, Ron and I are “on.” We are such better grandparents than parents - and we enjoy it so much more too!! So tell us about Coraline. And how this new chapter is going! (I remember the photos when she was born!!)

    Take care- sending much love. Xo
    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Day 4 is too late to jump in. You do you!

      I will write about Coraline for sure. And my grandson who just turned one, Cassius Danger. (Danger is his middle name.) I think I'm a better parent with Coraline too. Or maybe I just want to think I've learned a thing or two. It's sure different sending her to school though.

      Delete