Sunday, November 17, 2019

Day 17: Poetry Sunday: Feminist Verse

sticky-notes


Someone shared the first poem below on a Facebook group I'm in and I've just got to share it here. It's brutal. It's courageous. It's a little bitter, and I love dark chocolate. Don't tell me you don't like poetry. That you don't understand it most of the time. This is not your English teacher's Yeats. It's the kind of poetry I would have shared with my high school juniors and seniors when I was teaching creative writing in a school for the arts. It's the kind of poetry that tells stories. It's the kind of poetry that slaps you with the truth so hard you have to listen to it again. Like a wine glass thrown against a wall. Listen .... but maybe not at work.

Pack of Bitches by Glori B. and Teresa Johnson




Damn, Girl by Glori B.




Dogwalker's Lament by Julia Gaskill




If you like spoken word poetry like the ones above, the Write About Now YouTube channel has about a million. If you don't like poetry, stay tuned. Tomorrow is a new day. Monday. Tomorrow is Monday.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of spoken word, but that first one is unique. Bravely done.

      Delete