Friday, November 8, 2019

Day 8: OK .... whatever


OK, Boomer. 

I had to go there. So much kerfuffle, nobody is listening to anybody. I'm going to weigh in anyway. This will be my shortest post this month, I promise.

By common standards I am considered a Boomer. A Late Boomer, because I boom when I want. I've heard we Late Boomers are the worst of the Boomers, but I'm not sure why. So when OK, Boomer started I will confess I felt a little hurt. Especially when my son posted a few defensive posts on Facebook. Like, really? Is this how my young friends and relatives see me?

And then I thought, Hell, no. They don't or they wouldn't want to hang out with me. It's not like I can afford to pay for their drinks. Also, Reticula! Snowflake much? Also, remember when you were 10 and everybody was saying you couldn't trust anybody over 30? Yeah, 30 was what we considered old then. Then again, maybe sometimes they do mean me. Maybe I could consider sometimes whether I'm dismissing people because of their age -- intentionally or not. Maybe when something becomes a source of conflict the best thing a person can do is listen.

And then I decided fuck all that. I may have been called a Boomer when I was born, but I really identify as a Perennial. A blooming fucking Perennial

From now on please refer to me by my chosen generational title. If you must address me in the affirmative, you may say, "OK, Perennial." If you're uncertain though, "Yes, Ma'am" is always in good taste.

Until the next squirrel runs by .....





P.S. Eat the rich.

6 comments:

  1. When I was in my 20's, I realised that the older I get, the younger "old age" looks! This is still true today, if not even more so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! I thought my parents were so old when I was a teenager .... they were in their mid-30's. Perspective is everything.

      Delete
  2. Am I a boomer? Maybe. No one has said,”OK Boomer” to me though. Is that a dismissive thing to say? Jeez. It’s a confusing time. I feel you. Ok Perennial! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anybody has ever said it to my face either. I've seen it said to others though. It's dismissive. But we live in rude times.

      Delete
  3. This is so funny, Perennial!

    I only just recently learned about "Ok Boomer." I was born in 1966 but I'm the youngest of 7 to depression-era, WWII Veterans, Greatest Generation parents, with eighteen years between me and my eldest sibling. So being born in 1966 doesn't really make me a Boomer, depending on what source you site, but I always identified as coming in on the tail end of the Boomers because of my parents and the environment of my upbringing.

    My kids and their spouses were born in '89 and '96. I don't generalize their generation, and because I know them and their friends, I can't agree with people who put down Millennials as a group or say they are lazy or entitled. But my daughter's father-in-law has a real "thing" about Millennials. I mean a THING! He uses the label as a dirty word and will go on and on and on, in front of his Millennial children and their spouses, and he doesn't seem to want to give any of them any credit for anything they have done or are doing. And I know my daughter and her husband to be very hard-working and heart-beautiful people. Recently my daughter and her husband had dinner with his family, and she regaled me with his anti-millennial rants and said she had recently found out about "Ok Boomer" and wants so badly to just say that to him when he is going on and on lol. But she is too sweet and respectful to do that. But if he ever crosses the line -- he would deserve to have it said to him. He is the embodiment of the reason Ok Boomer is a "thing."

    I think it's so easy to start labeling people, and I hope I don't do that. I've never felt like I fit into any one mold, anyway lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That guy sounds like a total miserable ass. He deserves an "OK, Boomer" if anyone ever did. However, I also believe in taking the high road and not acting like someone I don't like. It's a dilemma sometimes. Too bad someone of his own generation can't say it to him.

    ReplyDelete