Monday, November 25, 2019

Day 26: Inspiration Monday

John Lunceford
Photo credit: Kennewick School District
My friends, it has been a Monday. I'm not going to describe it, because I need to let it pass on out of my life, but I'll say two things. First, working for rich people is eye-opening and frustrating and often demeaning in ways they don't mean, but that still feel that way. And the second thing I'll say about this Monday is that I'm so far behind getting ready for Thanksgiving I'm not sure how I'll get it all done. But I will, because I always do. And if the house isn't as clean as I like it, my family and friends won't even notice. It's about the food and the thanks and nothing else.

Since it's been one of those days, I'm going to share just a few stories that caught my attention recently and made me feel good. I hope they brighten your day too -- even though your day is probably Tuesday because I'm writing this after midnight.

Here's one about John Lunceford, a bus driver who saw a need and immediately did something about it. It didn't cost him much, but I'll bet he got paid back in a lot of good karma. You can read about his good deed on the Kennewick School District Facebook page.



And then there's this story about an elderly retired teacher who was unable to do the upkeep on her house. The city was threatening her with code violations that could have cost her $3000 a day. She shared the information with her neighbors, who put together a work party. Twenty-five people showed up and the results were amazing. You can read more about it in this article on the Truth Theory website.



And then there's Ismael Essome Ebone, a guy from Cameroon who figured out how to build boats from plastic bottles. He didn't turn his idea into a corporate money-maker though. He started a non-profit for collecting plastic waste and turning it into fishing boats and boats for eco-tourism and plastic-bottle bins he designed to collect recyclables. 

Don't even get me started on plastic water bottles. I used to do an exercise about evidence in research writing with my college freshmen where I had them add up how many plastic bottles they used in a week. And then how many the campus probably used. And then the city. It was stunning. Many of them started using their own reusable bottles after that, but we all know our use of throw-away plastic bottles in this country is a sin.

OK, I said I wouldn't get started. I will say though that we can all find ways to help people, both small and large. The ways, not the people. Tis the season and all that. I find these stories inspirational and a reminder that I can always do more -- although probably not this week unless you count that turkey dinner I'll be preparing over the next three days.

Do good deeds, my friends. We're all in this together.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the good stuff instead of the depressing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel better. My Facebook feed is so loaded with politics and horrible behaviors. I need to keep some balance.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I'll try to post more of these in the future.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing these inspiring stories!

    ReplyDelete